The law says: All interstate moving companies are required to maintain a complaint and inquiry procedure. In fact, Your moving packet probably includes a booklet that explains what to do in case of a problem with your mover. This booklet is a good place to start when determining what steps to take.

Let’s say you’ve got a gripe with your mover. Something is broken,  missing, or overcharged. What can you do about it? Lots! First, complain to the mover. If you know of the problem as the mover is relocating you, mention it to the mover’s representative. If you don’t know until later, contact the mover’s rep as soon as you know. Be polite and professional in your first approach. Bring or send copies of your documents on the shipment.

Then what? All movers are supposed to respond promptly to complaints or inquiries from their customers. If you don’t get a response from the driver or the mover’s local agent within 30 days, start working your way up the ladder. Contact the mover’s principal office.

And? When you talk with the agent or the main office, make sure you have copies of all the documents relating to the move. The most crucial document will be the bill of lading; the bill number will be important in this procedure.

Then? If you don’t get satisfaction from the mover’s office, contact the nearest Surface Transportation Board office. Same rules: Make sure you have the paperwork and a clear explanation of the problem.