- Contact phone, power, and other utilities for service disconnection at your old home and connection at your new home.
- Empty a room, the garage, or another area to use as a staging area.
- If you are packing yourself, obtain packing materials and start packing items you won’t need until after you arrive at the new house.
- Arrange for the cleaning, painting, and preparation of your new home before your arrival, as needed.
- Arrange for special transportation of your pets, plants, and fragile or valuable items, if necessary.
- Call your insurance agent to see how your possessions are covered during transit.
- Make any travel plans necessary for your move.
- Set a date and start planning for your moving sale.
Arrange for utilities to be disconnected the day after you leave and connected the day before you arrive. If you’re a day early arriving at your new home, it will be ready.